Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

Ahh, the things that happen during mid-afternoon Friday naps.

I'm running, running, running through the woods. The rabbit, it's right there, right in front of me. I'm almost on it, almost there, almost, almost, almost... It stops, I pounce, it's gone! It's gone! I let it get away! NOOOOO!!!!

But there's Captain, right beside me! He's here! He's going to help me chase the rabbit! Or... Something.

He leans over and licks my face. "I missed you," he murmurs in my ear.

"I missed you, too," I sigh.

"Let's go," he says. And we run off through the woods. Suddenly, a squirrel!

Captain lets out a war howl and we're off! Gaining, gaining, gaining on it. Over bushes, rocks, mud puddles. Almost on top of it. Captain leaps around and corners it.

"All yours," he says, smiling. Such a gentledog...

I grab the squirrel in my teeth and head back for home. I hear them calling for me. "Carly! Caarr-leeeee!!! Where are you? Come baaaaackk!!!"

Sudden laughter wakes me up. "You are such a silly dog! Your feet are moving!" Mom and Brianna are laughing hysterically. "Your feet are up in the air and you're trying to run!"

"Come on," Mom says, smiling, to Brianna. "You need to take El Doggo for a walk."

I sit upright, blinking at them. Once I'm out in the yard I stand still and sniffed the air. If only dreams came true.

No comments:

Post a Comment